“Pain is a pesky part of being human, I’ve learned it feels like a stab wound to the heart, something I wish we could all do without, in our lives here. Pain is a sudden hurt that can’t be escaped. But then I have also learned that because of pain, I can feel the beauty, tenderness, and freedom of healing. Pain feels like a fast stab wound to the heart. But then healing feels like the wind against your face when you are spreading your wings and flying through the air! We may not have wings growing out of our backs, but healing is the closest thing that will give us that wind against our faces.”
― C. JoyBell C.
I’m inspired by pain. Yes, you read this correctly! Today my pain is less and I feel a breath of fresh air!!! Free of that dull ache and tightness that has been my annoying frenemy for the last year and a half helps my smile shine easier 🙂 When my pesky pain is almost silenced ~ I’m on top of my day!
Most of the time I don’t talk about my chronic pain…. To me it gets old FAST. So now I tend to deal with it myself (with a few exceptions). This is why I’m a yoga addict!
I decided to write about it today because sharing experiences including painful ones can help others. Recently, two good friends have been having their own share of pain. This reminded me about my own painful journey…..
May this encourage your heart and soul on your own path to healing. Never give up!
My pain management:
- Massage – regular massage therapy has helped me relax and reduce tension (every 2-3 wks).
- Exercise – recently I’ve joined a local gym and very much credit the new added variety (Pilates, yoga and Zumba) to my recent pain relief. A year ago I couldn’t have, but now I’m ready and that feels great! For 4 weeks I took 2 classes a week of yoga and now I’m taking 4-5 classes a week. Before that I was occasionally making it out to a yoga class and otherwise doing yoga at home.
- Physical therapy stretches – I’ve been to 2 different PT offices and learned many different shoulder/neck stretches and do these throughout my day as needed. I recommend Proaxis if you need one.
- Meditation – The Honest Guys meditations on utube (great soothing British accents over music – pretty pics too). There is something soothing about nothing. Letting thoughts go and just being.
- Prayer – From 21 days to beat depression devotional – Bible ap, this prayer struck a cord with me ~ “Jesus, Thank you for never leaving me or forsaking me. Thank you for sending the Holy Spirit to be my comforter in days of darkness and pain.” Amen
- Deep breathing – I use 4-7-8 breathing often and ocean breath during yoga practices.
- Topical pain relieving gel – china gel is my fav! I slather it on morning and night.
- photography and art are my encouraging distractions 🙂
*My pain is an annoying as ever pain cycle….caused by anxiety and bad posture. I’m enjoying my almost pain free day!!! So very thankful that the pain voice has quieted for the moment.